B r o a d f i e l d
1. SUBMITTED By Des Broadfield of Western Australia - August 2001
13 Jan 2002 Descendants of: Eli BROADFIELD
1 Eli BROADFIELD #15743 b. 1862 Kidderminster, Worcester, England d. BIRKENHEAD, ENGLAND m. Margaret GERRARD #15744 m. 27-08-1883 Liverpool, England.
2 John William BROADFIELD #2280 b. C.1885 BIRKENHEAD, ENGLAND m. Sarah JAMES #2281 m. 9-Sep-1908 MANCHESTER, ENGLAND b. C. 1885 MANCHESTER, ENGLAND
3 John William J. BROADFIELD #2282 b. C. 1914
3 Eli George BROADFIELD #2283 b. C.1922
3 Redmond Anthony BROADFIELD #2284 b. 24-11-1925 STACEY ST., BANKSTOWN, N.S.W.
2 Mary BROADFIELD #15745 m. ? McGRATH #15746
3 Frank McGRATH #15759 m. Amy CUMPSTONC #15760
4 Rosalind McGRATH #15761 (details excluded)
5 Emily #15762
5 Mark #15763
4 Leone McGRATH #15764 (details excluded)
5 Harriett #15765
5 Rebecca #15766
4 Eloise McGRATH #15767 (details excluded)
5 Christian #15768
5 Bronte #15769
4 Vivian McGRATH #15770 (details excluded)
5 Alexander #15771
5 Breton #15772
2 Margaret BROADFIELD #15747 m. Jud GOODWIN #15748
3 Len GOODWIN #15749
3 Ron GOODWIN #15750
3 Renee GOODWIN #15751
3 Eileen GOODWIN #15752
2 Nell BROADFIELD #15753 m. Terry BERMINGHAM #15754
3 Walter BERMINGHAM #15755
3 Brian BERMINGHAM #15756
3 Sarah BERMINGHAM #15757
3 Lavinia BERMINGHAM #15758
John William BROADFIELD - Slater by trade - born c.1885, Birkenhead, U.K.
he married : Sarah JAMES at Manchester, U.K. 9th Sept. 1908
Sarah was born in Manchester c.1885
Known Children :
|John W. J||born c.1914|
|Eli George||born c.1922|
|Redmond Anthony||b. 24-11-1925||Stacey St., Bankstown, N.S.W.|
It is likely that the 1st two children were born before the parents Emigrated to Australia.
Birkenhead's history can be traced back to an ancient building, the Priory, which was founded between 1154 and 1199 and stood on a lonely headland of birch trees. The Priory has a mixture of architectural styles due to the continual rebuilding of it throughout its years of existence. The Priory has now officially been declared an Ancient Monument. After King John granted Liverpool its charter, in the early 13th Century, the monks introduced the first ferry service across the river in 1330 from the Priory. When trips were not possible due to bad weather, passengers were accommodated in the Priory. The service was originally free, but increased demand meant that the monks could no longer afford to do this and they had to start charging a fee.
The Priory was used as a garrison during the Civil War in the 17th Century and the main hall was surrendered by the Cavaliers to the Roundheads and then demolished. The stones from the buildings were used to construct other buildings and, with the exception of St Mary's Church, these have since been pulled down and lost.
The Priory needed to have a work force of people to help the monks, and as a result, the local population increased in size. However it wasn't until the 1700s that Birkenhead started to build separate farms and cottages in the Priory area. Following the introduction of the first steam boat in 1815, businessmen of the day saw its potential and introduced the first motorised ferry service, along with a hotel. As a result of these developments, more housing and businesses were attracted to the area.
Of all the businesses in Birkenhead, Laird's shipbuilders was probably the most important. It was started by John Laird in 1824 and is still in operation today and has launched many famous ships in its time including the Alabama. John Laird also designed and built wide streets and squares in the town with the aim of improving living conditions in the area. One such area is Hamilton Square, which is one of the finest in the region and is named after John Laird's mother. John Laird became Birkenhead's first mayor in 1877 and a statue of him stands in Hamilton Square.
During this time the town's population grew rapidly and Birkenhead was awarded the right to govern itself. The Town Hall and Market were built, and the Market still exists today and is open six days a week.
Birkenhead Park was laid out in 1847 by Joseph Paxton and involved vast amounts of landscaping and the creation of artificial lakes, cricket and football pitches and driveways. Such was its success, that many of its features were incorporated into New York's Central Park following the visit of an American to the park in 1850. The park was nominated a Conservation Area in 1977 and a Grade 1 Listed Landscape by 1995.
Wallasey Pool was converted into an artificial basin and the first docks were opened in 1847. The Docks have nearly six miles of quay facilities, and since 1857, have been under the control of the Mersey Docks and Harbour Company. Birkenhead not only shared in the general trade of the Mersey but developed an individual trade in exporting and importing. This included the export of goods from the Midlands, importing cattle from Ireland and the export and import of goods with the eastern tropics.
Birkenhead attracted a huge flour-milling industry which made it the largest milling centre in Europe. Due to the arrival of many extra labourers to complete the building work, the first community housing project known as the Dock Cottages, which contained 350 dwellings in a block of flats was started.
In 1860, William Hesketh Lever established his soap and detergents business, which utilised coal and electricity from the north-west to make washing soda from Cheshire's salt reserves. The manufacture of soaps and detergents was aided by the import of vegetable fats through the Mersey ports. Port Sunlight was the most famous of the brands and was named after Lever's Port Sunlight model village. This was built in 1888, and provided employment, housing, and entertainment for the workers. The firm later merged with the Dutch Company 'Uni' and formed the multinational company Unilever.
Laird and Lever brothers were the founders of Wirral's industrial heritage, and household names such as Mobil, E.R. Squibb and Sons Ltd and Candy have helped to provide employment and prestige to Birkenhead. Birkenhead's international links have also established it as an important shipping centre.
By 1860 the town's population had risen to over 45,000 and the next decade saw a series of firsts for Birkenhead, including a Member of Parliament, a workhouse, a cemetery and a public library. A tunnel under the River Mersey was completed in 1886, and the Mersey Tunnel, which was used for vehicles, was in use by 1934.
Tranmere Rovers football team's original ground was on the site of Devonshire Park School, in Temple Road and was known as the Borough-Road Enclosure. Nearby Prenton became one of the more fashionable and newly developed districts in the town and therefore, Prenton Park was chosen as Tranmere's new home. In 1995 Prenton Park was converted to an all-seater stadium, which coincided with its 100 year anniversary as Tranmere Rovers home.
Today, Birkenhead has expanded even more, and can include flour milling, the manufacture of margarine and pharmaceuticals, and marine engineering amongst the industries in the area. All this provides work not only for people in Birkenhead, but also in the surrounding areas.
Sources: www.rfraser.freeuk.com, www.wirral.gov.uk, www.tranmererovers.co.uk, www.cavendish.demon.co.uk
Please send e-mail to: email@example.com